This is a spruced-up version of the classic Sunrise Breakfast special found in many diners across the US. It features onion, bell peppers, and ham accented with thyme.
- 6 Eggs
- ½ Cup Cream
- 1T Olive Oil
- 1½ Cups Onion (diced)
- 1½ Cups Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1½ Cups Hickory Smoked Ham (diced)
- ½ t Salt
- ¼ t Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 t Thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- In a 10" skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and the diced onions. Cook for a few minutes stirring, and turn the heat down to medium. Once the onions start to sweat, add the diced bell peppers and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced ham to the skillet and cook for a few more minutes (or you can cook the ham in a separate pan before adding to the vegetables). Remove from the heat.
- In a medium sized bowl beat the eggs with salt, pepper, and thyme. Add the cream and beat until well blended.
- If your skillet is oven-safe, add the egg mixture to the vegetables and ham mixture. Or you can add everything to a small baking dish coated with butter or non-stick spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a knife can be inserted and comes out clean.
You can try different herbs instead of thyme.
This goes well with Irish Coffees or Mimosas; but what doesn't?
Using an oven safe Teflon skillet for everything will speed the process up, and you won't have to worry about coating it with non-stick spray or butter.