This is a really cute project that can be made for Mother’s Day or Teacher Appreciation, especially when made in a bunch and placed in a small pot. We made these pens as part of a Brownie Try-It “Friends are Fun”, using a chrysanthemum which stands for friendship.
- Silk flower and leaf
- Ball point pen, Bic round stick works best
- Floral tape
- Wire cutter
- Tape or glue gun
- Remove cap from pen and discard. You won’t be able to put the cap back on after wrapping the pen with the floral tape without damaging it.
- Cut a flower and leaf off the bunch using the wire cutter, leaving 1/2-to-1-inch of stem. I would leave it on the longer side if the kids are making the pen.
- Secure the flower to the top of the pen, which can be done a few ways. One way is to just hold it to the pen and start wrapping the floral tape around it. I would suggest option two for kids, which would be to tape the flower to the pen before starting to wrap with the floral tape. Or, you could pop out the top of the pen and glue gun the stem into the barrel.
- Wrap the pen barrell with the floral tape, starting at the top by the flower and working down to the pen tip, slightly overlapping the tape as you work your way down. Be sure to pull the tape taut to ensure it sticks together and lays as flat as possible to the pen. Then, work your way up back to the top of the pen.
- At some point during the wrapping, stick in the leaf where desired and wrap with floral tape. Again, you may want to tape it to the pen first. The floral tape will cover it up, so don’t worry about that.
- Once your back at the top, you’re almost done. Cut the floral tape with scissors, and add the coordinating ribbon. You can also stop about 3/4 the ways back up, put a little glue to secure the tape, and wrap the ribbon at that point to cover the end point.