This is a homemade version of the Spaghetti-O’s we grew up with as kids; but won’t buy for our kids because of nutrition concerns. My 8 year old daughter actually liked these better than the store bought version.
- Anelleti Pasta (circle pasta)
- 6 oz. can Tomato Paste
- 2 Cups Water
- 4 t Sugar
- ½ t Onion Powder
- ¼ t Garlic Powder
- ¼ Cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- ¼ t Kosher Salt
- Boil the Anelletti pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Add the tomato paste and 2 cups of water to a separate pan over medium high. Using a whisk, mix it together bringing it to a soft boil. Add the remaining ingredients and reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix some sauce into the pasta, top with some parmesan cheese and you're ready to go. The sauce tastes fresher than what you get in the can, and you have control over the final texture of the pasta.
Use this as base recipe, and you can add herbs such as oregano, or change the proportions of the ingredients to your taste.
Please let us know how this recipe works out for you, and what changes you make if any.