This salad recipe is similar to a Capresse salad, and can be served as a small meal or as a side to a nice dinner. You can also add some chicken to change this to a hearty (but light) meal.
- 6 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 T of Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T of Dijon Mustard
- 3-6 Crushed Cloves of Garlic (to taste)
- 1 bag of mixed greens
- 3-4 Roma Tomatoes (sliced to ~1/8" thick)
- 2-4 Large Buffalo Mozzarella Balls (sliced to ~1/8" - 1/4" thick)
- Combine the first 4 ingredients and whisk until emulsified (thickened). You can add more mustard or garlic to taste. Additional Dijon will soften the bite of the vinegar.
- Mix the greens with some of the dressing to lightly coat the leaves.
- Plate the salads and add tomato slices around the salad and top each slice with a mozzarella slice.
- Drizzle additional dressing across the mozzarella.
You could make this a stand-alone meal by adding some chicken tenders. Just pound the chicken flat, and marinate the chicken in about a 1/4 cup of the dressing for an hour. Then cook the chicken in a heated skillet (on high) for ~2 minutes on each side. Then drape the chicken pieces on top of the salad.
You could also make this more of a capresse salad by eliminating the mixed greens, and adding basil leafs in between the tomato and buffalo mozzarella.