Seared Scallops served atop mixed greens tossed with a blood red orange balsamic vinaigrette dressing and caramelized onions. Make a complete meal out of this tangy salad with scallops.
- ¼ Cup Blood Red Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
- ¹⁄³ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 7 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T Honey
- 2 T Dijon Mustard
- 5-8 oz. Bag of Mixed Greens
- 1 White Onion (thinly sliced)
- 6-8 Large Scallops (rinsed and patted dry)
- 5-6 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (used for Scallops and Caramelized Onions)
- In a small bowl, mix the orange juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and mustard with a small whisk or fork until well-blended. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
- Add 3 T olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, letting them sweat before reducing the heat to medium-low. Continue stirring for another 20-25 minutes until they are a glassy brown. Place the onions in a bowl to the side.
- In a large bowl, mix the lettuce with the dressing to lightly coat the greens.
- In the same skillet used to cook the onions, add 2-3 T olive oil and heat over medium-high. Place the scallops in the pan, and cook for 3 minutes. In order to get a nice sear, make sure the scallops are patted dry with a paper towel beforehand; and do not move the scallops until you're ready to turn over. Use the tongs to turn the scallops over, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Place the mixed salad in bowls. Lightly place the scallops on top of the salad. Top each salad with some caramelized onions, twisting the onions into a figure 8 as you lay them on top.
You can replace the scallops with chicken, shrimp, or any other meat of your choice.
You can also skip the meat, and mix in avocados or other ingredients to make a nice side of salad.
If you can't find blood red oranges, you can use grapefruit or a regular orange in the dressing.